1 year ago
UX Game Designer
Tempe, AZ / Bosnia & Herzegovina (Europe) - Full Time/Contract
Xhibit is a digital company that specializes in creating customized user interfaces for Interactive Platforms. We design engaging user experiences for some of the US's biggest companies across multiple platforms (including desktop computers, mobile, tablet, digital signage, kiosk, etc.).
We are looking for an experienced game designer who has shipped free-to-play social game titles on mobile platforms or the web. You should be passionate about social games and strive to come up with the new mechanics and gameplay experiences that will take social gaming on mobile devices to the next level. Using your keen sense of compelling aesthetics and addicting game mechanics, you will spearhead a metrics-driven approach to game design that builds strong retention, virality and monetization into the core game design.
You will guide the design on both internally and externally developed projects ranging from original concepts to existing PlayFirst properties. You are able to excel at on a strategic level and understand broad industry trends while also being able to operate effectively at a tactical level in defining, implementing and iteration on the individual game features up until and beyond product launch. You excel at systems design, and do not bat an eyelash at creating compelling structures to advance our games and create addicting gameplay for our audiences.
To apply for this role, we require a link to a digital portfolio of work. No portfolio, no reply.
You need to be:
- A self-motivated, optimistic team player with high levels of energy and a passion for all things digital and interactive.
- Precise and tidy in the way you work and show high levels of attention to detail.
- Open, honest, direct and comfortable in giving and receiving constructive feedback.
- A fast worker and good timekeeper who is used to inputting your hours into time management software daily.
- Strong interpersonal skills, confident and articulate presenter both internally and to clients.
- Able to perform well under pressure and prepared to put in the hours when a project requires it.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Creating detailed designs and specs for digital products.
- Producing key documentation and design artifacts across multiple projects.
- Keep up to date on emerging technologies, designs and usability research.
- Maintaining the company presentation documentation.
- Drive systems design and engage our audience with addicting game play mechanics.
- Partner with the Creative Director to create a studio discipline for best practices of design.
- Define the overall game design for innovative, high quality freemium mobile games.
- Communicate the overall creative vision and specific feature requirements to the team.
- Use in game design tools for rapid data driven feature iteration.
- Drive the initial prototyping, tuning, game play pacing, first user experience, and difficulty ramp of a mobile game.
- Embrace a metrics-driven approach to game design, learning from user date data to ensure excellent retention, monetization, and meaningful social connections in the game design.
- Source new ideas and draft concept proposals as required.
- Understand and contribute to overall company goals by advising on portfolio direction and new game ideas that will appeal to our target consumers.
- Helping the team to ensure that all work is delivered on time and to the highest level possible.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Minimum 5 years of free-to-play game design experience on mobile platforms or the web.
- Has shipped numerous mobile and/or social games in a game design role.
- Excellent analytical, facilitation and organizational skills required.
- User experience design and related software skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in an agile manner with Product Managers, Artists, Producers, and Engineers to efficiently deliver excellent games while working within requirements and constraints of technology, schedule and budget.
- Ability to rapidly generate and refine extremely fun game mechanics with compelling and relatable themes.
- Commitment to quality on on-time execution.
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills essential.
- Must have current US work authorization.
What you get in return:
- The opportunity to become a key player in a growing team.
- The opportunity to develop your skills through training and working on in-house projects.
- The chance to work with some exciting, well-known brands on cutting-edge products, concepts and experiences.
- Spending part of your time developing your skills on your own IP projects.
- Competitive salary.